Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Phillip's Birth Story

Birth story -
January 18th-
I started labor and was dilated to 2CM but was not progressing even though the contractions were very strong. After several hours of trying contractions gave me a break and I was able to fall asleep. Than I started having chills,a fever and very achy. Due to the hard contractions and fever our midwife decided I needed to go to the ER. On the way the contractions settled down and I was admitted to be monitored for the next 24 hours and put on Tylenol and an IV of fluids and tamiflue for the flue. Than released on Friday night to go home and get well before labor starts again.
January 25th- I kept feeling better but than getting worse. My fever kept coming and going and congestion was terrible I was having a hard time breathing and baby didn’t seem to move as much.
So Renee' (midwife) had us go to the ER again.
I was admitted into ICU with a high fever and trouble breathing. Baby was fine and they did lots of testing and scans on me to find what was wrong. But turns out I just had a severe case of the flu. I was placed on a antibiotic and still seemed to be getting worse but than suddenly I took a turn for the better. With the help of a sweet nurse we were able to wait a day to let me rest and be induced into labor rather then having a c-section as one DR. wanted to do with me. Praise the Lord!!!
So after resting for an extra day to have strength for labor I was induced at 10 am on January 28th.
Labor got progressively stronger and by 3 pm I was having to concentrate on each contraction. My water broke at some point and then labor really started going. I felt like I needed to push at 4 but I was only dilated to 6 cm. They lowered my pitocin dosage and contractions were more tolerable. Laboring along contractions were getting to the point where I say I can’t do it anymore. I just changed positions when I felt a sudden change. I yelled out “something changed” and Renee' was getting gloves to check and had Nathaniel call the nurses. The very next contraction the head came out and then the shoulders. Renee' only had time to put on one glove and catch him! Just as he came out a nurse came running in to assist.
I went through an induced labor with no pain medicine, a broken rib from coughing so much and just getting over a severe case of the flu. At first it looked as if I would have to have another c /section but the Lord was merciful and allowed us to have him naturally.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kate that is beautiful! That's amazing you were able to go through an induction with out pain meds and didn't need a c-section! Congrats! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! The Lord was so merciful to us in this situation.

      Delete